Dwarfed by Turbines

Dwarfed by Turbines

Friday, June 19, 2009

June 19th - Why I don't watch the news....

I often avoid watching the news because it is so depressing. I have concluded that if I really need to know, someone will tell me. But today I was watching a news report on chemicals in childrens toys. It was regarding the phthalates that are in many toys and can cause health issues under certain conditions (click the title of this blog for the link to the news story).....the people on the news were stating how far Canada is behind when it comes to safety issues and it of course made me think of the turbine issue. For those of you who are of the belief that our government would not allow wind turbine projects to be put up if they were not safe, please look at the facts. Time and time again, we see how our government ignores scientific findings, health complaints and more in the interest of progress. (Progress = Money). For those asking for turbines to be built any less than a few km's from people, and this includes your own home, please think again. There is a saying - we don't know, what we don't know, until we know. I understand that some of the people for wind energy would like the power to make their own decisions, but I have to wonder what those same people would do if they became ill. Would they look for compensation? Would they blame the government for not telling them what could happen? Would they look back and realize that the money did not dramatically change their lives, but that the illness did? If you still believe that wind power is 100% safe, I encourage you to realize that wind power is industrial and the hazards associated with it are industrial. Investigate the possible side effects and make informed decisions people. And to our CK Council, many of whom seem to be mentioning job creation from wind energy. If continued in this fashion, you will create even more jobs than you think. When the population around the turbines is unable to work due to health issues, and the health care system is even more overstressed than it is at present, we will need people to do our jobs, and to take care of us as well.......OK, that's my two cents after watching the news.
Some of you have been emailing and calling me, which is great, but I wish you would post your comments so that everyone could have the value of input from both sides.....Nikki

No comments: