Dwarfed by Turbines

Dwarfed by Turbines

Sunday, May 31, 2009

May 31st - Beep, Beep, Beep

Last night was extremely windy. So much so that we did not really notice the turbine sound too much. About two in the morning, we were awakened though by a beep,beep,beep alarm sound. Doesn't it just figure that on a night when we were actually sleeping the sound testing equipment alarm went off due to "high wind warning". We unplugged it, it still beeped. We tried pushing buttons, still the beeping. Finally we took out the back up batteries and sileneced it. The testing was finished on Saturday, so the recorder is full anyway. Did I mention that we were being taped for a couple of weeks? Well, not us specifically, but the sound of the windturbines in our home. A rather large microphone set in my office recorded automatically at different intervals, and a button attached to it allowed us to record when we found the turbines to be especially loud. I must say, it was a strange feeling to know that at any time our activities could be being recorded. A little unsettling to know that we are being "listened to".
As for today, my headache is back. My throat again feels like my glands are swollen. The last time my throat was bad like this, I saw my family doctor and she could find nothing wrong. If it continues, I guess I will go back and see her again, but I have a feeling I know what she will say. So the front of my forehead is pounding as I sit here, and my throat is very sore. My eyes are still bright red. But y'know, I feel pretty lucky as I sit here listening to the kids play downstairs. Could be worse I guess. One thing I am very thankful for is that I don't have to deal with the 'rash'. My husband said he scratched all night when I asked him why he had red scratches all over his chest, arms and back. He has had a mysterious itchy rash for months. We tried changing detergents, soaps, everything we could think might be causing it. Only recently, when I was contacted by another wind turbine sufferer as a result of my name in the paper did we realize the rash could be related as well. The woman who called me has suffered from a similar rash and when I listed to her describe it I thought about my husband immediately. My youngest son also has an excema like rash on the back of his hand and arm. He complained excessively this morning as well and in the night that he was itchy.
This is why this blog and information in the media is so important. I believe there are a lot more people out there being affected who have not yet made the connection and figured out what the cause of their issues really is. Of course I am not saying the mere sound of the turbines causes the rash, but what about the unknown factors - the low frequency noises, the vibrations, the effect on our bodies from lack of sleep and inner ear issues (often one part of the body affects another), or even what I have heard described as "dirty electricity". If we are being exposed to any of these, we would not know it. This is why it is so important to conduct studies and find out exactly what the effects of the wind turbines are. How can it be possible that so many people all over the world can have the same symptoms and have never spoken to one another?
IF YOU ARE WITHIN EVEN 5 KM OF A WIND TURBINE CENTRE AND HAVE SUFFERED ANY UNUSUAL SYMPTOMS, I ENCOURAGE YOU TO SPEAK UP, FILE A COMPLAINT WITH THE MUNICIPALITY AND THE WIND PROJECT - TELL OUR GOVERNMENTS TO DO MORE STUDIES BEFORE PROCEEDING WITH FURTHER WIND CENTRES. WE HAVE TO PROTECT OUR CHILDREN FROM LONG TERM EFFECTS THAT ARE YET UNDETERMINED.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Thanks for keeping a diary detailing this phenomena that is occurring in your family home. I am interested to learn more about Wind turbines and their effect on people living in close proximity. It is very important that officials and those responsible for establishing Wind energy projects understand the implications of their actions lest they subject their Municipalities to unfortunate consequences.
I am most grateful for your willing participation. Thank you.

Nik said...

Thank you Maluna for your support. I agree and hope that you will share your opinions with your municipal and federal governments.....together we can make a difference. Be well.